Torai seeds (desi)
About Torai: Torai (Botanical Name: Luffa sp.) is a common summer vegetable especially grown in South -Asian Countries like India, Bangladesh, and China. It is commonly called Ridge Gourd or Torai (In Hindi) or Chinese Okra (In Western countries) The crop belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family.
HOW TO GROW TORAI FROM SEEDS:
- SEEDS: Prior to sowing the seeds, they can be soaked in water overnight. It ensures better germination. Seeds can be first grown in pro-trays (in a coco-peat medium) till they reach 10-15cms in height. Then, they can be transplanted directly into pots or soil. Seeds take 1-2 weeks to germinate. If seedlings are sown in the garden, a spacing of 10-15cms should be maintained between the two plants.
- SUNLIGHT: While in the seedling stage, they can be kept under the shade immediately after sowing for 1-2 days. Then they can be brought under direct sunlight. Torai grows best under tropical conditions with direct sun exposure for 5-6 hours a day.
- SOIL: A well-drained soil is needed. The plant prefers moist soil throughout its growing season. Large pots (20 liters capacity) with drainage holes should be used.
- WATER: Watering is to be done regularly to maintain moist soil.
- BUILDING TRELLIS: Torai is a climber. Once the plant reaches 15cms, it is important to provide the trellis for the plant to spread its tendrils and grow along the trellis.
- FERTILIZER: Organic fertilizers like vermicompost or manures can be mixed with the soil for better results. A light water-soluble fertilizer can be applied during the plant’s growth stage. Vegetables need a balanced amount of NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium). Fertilizers that contain all these three nutrients in the same proportions are available like ALL19/ALL 10 etc. Individual fertilizers can also be applied.
Seed count- 60 seeds
You can start up your journey of vegetable gardening right now with this combo. Hurry up and place your orders soon!