West Indian Jasmine scientific name - Ixora coccinea. It is also known as Ixora or Jungle Geranium. Ixora is a perennial, evergreen tree or shrub. This plant is famous for bright colours, which can bloom in warm climates throughout the year. It becomes the most popular flowering shrubs in South Florida gardens and landscapes. It is the national flower of Suriname.
Ixora Features: An Overview
- Ixora is a perennial evergreen tree or shrub. Depending on the species, this plant can reach from 4 to 6 feet in height (1.2-1.8 m) and 3 to 5 feet (0.9-1.5 m) in width. With a bit of care, it can grow much smaller as a houseplant.
- Ixora is usually a dense, multi-branched plant. Its foliage consists of leathery, ovate, dark green leaves that can measure from 3 to 6 inches (7.6-15.2 cm) in length.
- Ixora plants come in many different forms including shrubs, ground covers, and trees. Perfect for warm climates, Ixora plants can be grown as climbers as well.
- Ixora may bloom all year round, it is most likely to produce flowers throughout the summer months. Ixora plants exhibit large flower clusters that can appear in different shades of white, cream, yellow, red, pink, orange, and even bright green.
- This small evergreen shrub is extremely pretty and produces long-lasting flowers. The average sizes of dwarf Ixora shrubs are between 20 and 90 cm, so they are perfect for gardens with limited space.
- Ixora shrubs are beloved by gardeners worldwide thanks to their ability to withstand a wide range of environmental conditions including drought, wind, heat, saltwater, and resistance to pests and diseases such as scale insects, mites, and fungal infections
|Plant type||Shrubs or trees|
|Hardiness Zones||USDA 10- 11|
|Plant Height||Upto 12 feet|
|Flower Colour||Red , orange , pink , yellow|
|Plant with||Low- maintenance plants|
|Don't play with||Cold - loving plants|
|Soil Type||Sandy and loamy|
|Plant Spacing||3 feet|
|Sun Exposure||8- 10 hours|
|Attract||Butterfly , bees|
|Pest||Mealy bug , aphids|
|Leaf Spot disease|
how long does it take for jasmine to grow
The seeds can Take upto 12 weeks to germinate, so don’t get impatient if you don’t see anything happen after a few days. Many seeds won’t germinate at all, so it’s best to try growing quite a few at once.
Does Ixora Grow Quickly?
No. Ixora grows slowly, so if you’re planting them together to build a hedge, they may take several years to intertwine properly. They can reach impressive heights but most people trim them to approximately around three or four feet for cosmetic reasons.
Dwarf Ixora will reach their full height quicker than traditional varieties. Many people grow dwarf variants indoors instead of outdoors.