The basic challenges of SWM are the inappropriate methods of waste collection, waste transportation, and waste disposal. According to the CPCB, lack of infrastructure, insufficient budget allotment to the municipal authorities, and improper waste collection or waste segregation systems are some of the major challenges for SWM. Additionally, most of the dumpsites are being operated without following any Solid Waste Management norms and end up receiving mixed waste that causes environmental and health-related hazards leading to open-fires. It has also been reported that even after notification of the revised solid waste management in India rules and initiatives by the government, most of the states have struggled in the proper implementation of the policies/strategies.
My Home my Neighbor campaign
- Waste Segregation at source
- Compost making from wet waste collection within the premises/ neighborhood/area
- Dry waste recycling in India
- Freeing the neighborhood from defecation and urination at open places
- Motivating the residents of neighbourhood against throwing waste in open spaces; and
- Adopting a nearby park or open place for waste collection and waste segregation.