Who does’nt loves plants ? , they give us enormous thing to cherish which includes fruits , oxygen and the pleasure which is incomparable to anything existing in this world . Plant require a certain level of care and attention as they are always prone to several kinds of infestation and disease which hampers their growth and in some case eventually leading to their death . Here are some common plant disease which occur in plants growing in your garden and some common solutions to tackle them -
- Powdery mildew – It is a common fungus which has affected wide variety of plants , it is easily identified as it appears light grey or white powdery spots found on infected leaves , stems , fruits and flowers . Powdery mildew thrives in warm, dry climates; however, it also needs fairly high humidity — like the warm days and cool nights in late spring to early summer. Not enough sunlight and poor air circulation also contribute to conditions that encourage powdery mildew. Plant such as potato , tomato , rose , cucumbers and sunflowers are most susceptible to this.
- Prevention - Firstly when shopping for plants choose varieties with increased resistance to powdery mildew .
- Maintain adequate spacing between plants and keep them far enough away from walls and fences to ensure good air circulation and help reduce relative humidity.
- Locate plants in proper sunlight according to their needs.
- Maintain healthy plants by removing dead or diseased foliage.
- Control - Baking soda solution:Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon liquid soap such as Castile soap (not detergent) in 1 gallon of water. Spray liberally, getting top and bottom leaf surfaces and any affected areas.
- Powdery mildew fungicide:Use sulfur-containing organic fungicides as both preventive and treatment for existing infections.
- Trim or prune:Remove the affected leaves, stems, buds, fruit or vegetables from the plant and discard. Some perennials can be cut down to the ground and new growth will emerge.