Let’s have a look at top vegetables to grow in your kitchen garden this summer:
A tomato plant with a bunch of red tomatoes on both sides of the main stem makes a lovely sight. Tomato plant loves the clear sky and plenty of sunshine. It can be started any time of the year by seeds.
- Spacing: 45-60 cm between plants and 60-75 cm between rows
- Seed requirement: 18 g seeds per 25 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: 80-100 days
Also known as eggplant, it is a warm season crop susceptible to frost. It is said that consumption of brinjal in Summers safeguards children against measles. There are several varieties with different sizes, colors and shapes.
- Spacing: 30-45 cm between plants and 60 cm between rows
- Seed requirement: 2-5 g seeds per 10 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: 3-4 months
Chilli as a spice is very popular in India. The most pungent varieties of chillies are grown in hot summer season. The non-pungent varieties are delicate and susceptible to diseases. The seedlings are transplanted.
- Spacing: 30-45 cm apart
- Seed requirement: 1 g per 10 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: 2- 2.5 months
Pumpkins are cucurbit vegetables that grow very well during summer. The size of a pumpkin may vary from 5 kg to 40 kg. Because of the size of fruit, pumpkin climber is allowed to creep on the ground rather than on a trellis.
- Spacing: Direct seed sowing in pits of 2 x 2 ft and 6 ft apart. 3 seeds are sown per pit
- Seed requirement: 8 g per 10 sq.mt.
Harvesting: After 3-4 months for 8-10 weeks
Cucumber can be grown throughout India in summers. Cucumbers are generally sown in round pits at convenient places to let them trail on the house roofs, pergolas or bowers. Seed is sown directly.
- Spacing: 3 x 3 ft between plants and rows
- Seed requirement: 5 g per 10 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: Plant starts giving fruits after 2-3 months for about 4-5 weeks
6. Bottle gourd:
In India, a bottle gourd creeper trailing over thatched huts in villages with bright glistening white blossoms and tender, smooth, long, light green, cylindrical fruits is a catching sight.
- Spacing: Direct seed sowing in pits 2 x 2 ft and 6 ft apart, 3 seeds in a pit
- Seed requirement: 5 g for 10 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: After 2 months onwards for about 6 to 8 weeks
7. Lady’s finger:
Lady’s Finger or Okra as it is popularly called ushers the arrival of summer. Tender forefinger-sized ones, stuffed with spices make a delicious vegetable. Seed sowing can be done from March to July.
- Spacing: 2-3 ft between plants
- Seed requirement: 15 g for 10 sq.mt
- Harvesting: 60-75 days for 2-3 months
A leafy vegetable cooked and consumed as spinach. There are many varieties with tender leaves, green or red in color. This hardy vegetable is easy to grow throughout the year including hot summers.
- Spacing: Between Plants 20-25 cm and between rows 30 cm.
- Seed requirement: 5 g for 1000 sq.mt.
- Harvesting: 30-45 days for 2-3 months.
Apart from these, you can also produce a satisfying yeild of Gourds, Melons, Malabar Spinach, and Beans.